Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sew the Story Begins

I never knew how to sew. I didn't even own my own machine..or a needle and thread for that matter. Until I found out I was going to be an Aunt for the first time. I always wanted to make and create for my little ones, just as my mom did when I was very little, so I thought no better time to start then now! I had to delay the creation on a blog, as like most things I tend to do, were all gifts and I did not want to spoil the surprise. Here are a few pictures of my first attempts at sewing. I must say many thanks to my friend Katie and sister-in-law Alecia as they helped guide me through my learning process. Baby Riley now has a beautiful new homemade quilt from Aunt Lindz hanging in his nursery that eagerly awaits him, 4 cute new onesies, including a cute little tie outfit that he might have to sport during his first Thanksgiving dinner with the Rileys, a tag blankie to play with and of course a crab and turtle bib to catch his spills! Thanks to the Babe, I know have many new creative ideas for all the little ones to come!
                  
 
I can now say I completed my first quilt. It took me much longer than I expected. It was a lot of hours at home after work and coaching at the lake from Grandma P. It is done. I took on a big first quilt as I outlined each animal and leaf as shown above. I love it though. Expecially the yarn I added to the palm trees!



I bought these onesies from Target, found some cute animal shapes (and a tie) online, printed them, and cut the fabric as such, ironed on with fusible web and top stitched them on. Turned out better than I thought! They are one of a kind, Giraffe (with brown and white stripes), Blue striped tie (on brown), Blue Elephant (on white and brown elephant), and blue and brown star guitar (on star onesie). I hope baby Riley enjoys the one of a kind designs straight out of our home! 
Crab and Turtle Bibs. Found on a pattern site, slightly modified, and made from the ring of a mixing bowl. Hey whatever works, right?


Tag Blankie. Brown and Blue - to match the couples wedding colors of course! (no just happened to work that way!)

Well as you can see I am slightly hooked on sewing. I now have a list of projects that await me when I find the time from my life of being a wife and mommy to my puppy Kona Bear. The current list contains: Cushions for our new Dinning Room (Maybe even a table runner for our amazing blue table!), surprise gift for Baby Riley's arrival (more to come), and Christmas gifts for the Riley/Sharp girls.
Stay tuned, as I hope to blog my creations, my life and all the things I love in between. 
-LindzRay

1 comment:

  1. So glad you started your blog. I can't wait to see more of what you are accomplishing as you're doing it. The process is half of the fun! I am so proud of you Lindsey! Sew on!

    ReplyDelete